Monday, May 23, 2011
CfP on “Interoperability between Virtual and Real Worlds” in The Journal of Virtual World Research (JVWR).
[Near Deadline: 15 June: submission of one page abstract]
CfP on “Interoperability between Virtual and Real Worlds”
in The Journal of Virtual World Research (JVWR).
Special Issue edited by
• Jean H.A. Gelissen, Philips Research, Netherlands,
• Marius Preda, Institut TELECOM, France,
• Samuel Cruz-Lara, LORIA / INRIA Nancy Grand Est, France,
• Yesha Sivan, Metaverse Labs and the Academic College of Tel Aviv-Yaffo, Israel.
The Journal of Virtual World Research http://www.jvwresearch.org/ is an online, open access academic journal that engages a wide spectrum of scholarship and welcomes contributions from the many disciplines and approaches that intersect virtual worlds research. The field of virtual world research is a continuously evolving area of study that spans across many disciplines and the JVWR editorial team looks forward to engaging a wide range of creative and scholarly work.
While the notion of virtual worlds in an evolving concept, to provide a base to build upon, we consider virtual worlds to be computer-based simulated environment where users interact with other users through graphic or textual representations of themselves utilizing textual chat, voice, video or other forms of communication. The term virtual worlds includes, is similar to, or is synonymous to the terms of virtual reality, virtual space, data-scape, metaverse, virtual environment, massively multiplayer online games, collaborative virtual environments, and immersive virtual environments.
After several issues addressing the technological, societal and economic aspects of Virtual Worlds, JVWR is calling for contributions related to standards, “formalized by standardization bodies” or “de facto ones”, that have or may have an impact in the large deployment of VW services, applications and products. Recent examples are the MPEG-V standard (http://wg11.sc29.org/mpeg-v/), published by ISO in 2011 and addressing interoperability of virtual objects and avatars and Web3D technologies for Real-Time 3D Communication (http://www.web3d.org).
Authors are invited to submit their work, under the form of short paper for blind reviewed by the review Committee. The papers must be innovative, original, and contribute to the advancement of understanding virtual worlds related standard technologies.
Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):
• MPEG-V and other virtual world standards
• User Interfaces to access and manipulate objects in virtual worlds
• Money and solutions for virtual trading with real economical impact
• User Identity
• Scalability with respect to the number of concomitant users and complexity of virtual worlds
• Communication protocols and interchange media formats
• Cross-platform and multi-platform access to virtual worlds
• Multilinguality and e-inclusion
• Mixed Reality
• Virtual Hybrid Communication
Authors are invited to submit papers of up to 5 pages in PDF format directly to the editor (firstname.lastname@example.org). Upon acceptance, the final revised paper is required to be submitted via the JVWR Submission Site. Accepted papers will be published online in the Volume 4, Number 2 of the Journal.
15 June: submission of one page abstract
30 June: reviewers’ feedback on the abstract
31 July: deadline for full paper
15 August: reviewers’ decision and comments for accepted papers
30 August: submission of final version
15 September: publication
Tuesday, May 17, 2011
第十届武汉电子商务国际会议( WHICEB2011 )
See English Version
- 3D - 表现在不断增多的3D游戏、虚拟世界、镜像世界、映像、增强现实、传感器和基于执行器的计算机信息处理。
- 社区 (Community) - 作为象征的有：Facebook, YouTube和Twitter. 这关系到将数字化社区虚拟化的能力。
- 创新 (Creation) - 允许个人进行创造的工具的不断兴起。 它始于纯粹的数字产品，比如博客的评论；小的信息工具，如现在耶路撒冷的天气如何，并随着家用产品的印刷和实时生产得到进一步的发展。
- 商务 (Commerce) - 随着全球虚拟支付，信贷，和多元化市场的兴起，企业得以获取全球性的利益。我们已经看到了Amazon和Paypal的起步，以及像ACS这样的虚拟交易公司。
*这个讲话的早期版本发表于TEDx 会议。 关于3D3C定义起源的深度阅读可以在网上搜寻到。
The tenth Wuhan International Conference on e-Business ( WHICEB2011 ). May 28-29, 2011, in Wuhan, China
See Chinese Version
The Tenth Wuhan International Conference on e-Business ( WHICEB2011 )
May 28-29, 2011, in Wuhan, China
The Future of 3D3C Markets – Invited Talk
Dr. Yesha Sivan
The Academic College of Tel Aviv-Yaffo
Metaverse Labs. Ltd.
A new arena for human interaction is emerging. This arena – which will be called 3D3C markets – is destined to bring major opportunities, and challenged in the next decades.
Such 3D3C markets combined and unite four major factors:
- 3D – as seen by the rise of 3D games, virtual worlds, mirror worlds, mapping, augmented reality, sensors and actuators based computing.
- Community – as epitomized by Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter. It has to do with the ability to virtually engage communities digitally.
- Creation – the rise of tools that allow individuals to create. It starts with pure digital goods like comments to blogs, small blips of information like what is the weather now in Jerusalem, and continues with in home product printing of goods, and just in time manufacturing.
- Commerce – a rise of global virtual payments, trust, and multi-level marketing that allow businesses to gain value globally. We already see the initial steps with Amazon, Paypal, and virtual exchanges like the one operated by ACS.
The paper will conclude with mapping of the main hurdles that we face today for 3D3C markets.
* An earlier version of this talk was presented in the TEDx conference. Further reading on the origins of the 3D3C definition can be found by searching the web.